Tuesday, March 16, 2010

9 weeks and a root canal.

It has already been a month since I learned of our surprise baby #3 on the way.  The past month has flown by but I've got to be honest.. I still can't believe I am pregnant again.  I talk about Gum Drop often but it still does not seem real.  Maybe once I start feeling him/her move it will be 'more real'.  We are certainly excited but thinking about all the "logistics" of things is kind of nerve racking.  We need to get a second crib, we need to get a double stroller, we need to figure out bedrooms, we need to figure out money.. oh my.. I know it will all come together and I have absolute faith that God will lead us.
On to not so fun news - I had to have a root canal today.  I've been having serious discomfort on the upper right side of my mouth for close to 2 months now and finally this morning I had decided enough is enough and I called my dentist.  I saw him at 11:20 a.m., had x-rays taken (don't worry, they piled the lead vests on my tummy!) and by 11:30 a.m. it was decided I needed a root canal ASAP.  I was a little confused because I've been getting cleanings and have taking care of my teeth very well for the past 5 years (not so good before that, hate to admit it!) - nothing was mentioned about a cavity or there being a trouble spot at my last cleaning in August 2009 but since that time it has gotten so bad that my only choices were to extract the tooth or have a root canal.  I knew immediately I didn't want the tooth pulled - I am only 26 and I really don't want a big hole in my mouth so I opted for the root canal.  My original root canal appointment was scheduled for 2:45 p.m. today but they would not do the procedure without a note from my OBGYN so I quick rushed over to May.Grant to get that taken care of.  While driving back to work I got a call asking if I could come in at 1:30 p.m. for the root canal - fine with me, the sooner the better!  I was shockingly not nervous when I arrived at the office, I thought for sure I would be a big ball of nerves but I put my big girl panties on and I'm proud of myself!  The procedure was pretty much painless except for the anesthesia.  He gave me shots up near the top of my gum, by the tooth, on the inside of my gum by the tooth and on the roof of my mouth - owie!  And oh my that stuff tasted SO.GROSS!  Unfortunately I could see a reflection of everything the dentist was doing in the the light/magnifier he was using and I made the mistake of looking a couple of times - once when he was pulling some pretty nasty stuff out of my tooth - then when he was putting in the big long drill - I really got queasy then.  It looked like an actual drill bit, not like those little baby ones they use for cavaties.  After the procedure he informed me that he was not able to fill the root canal because there was too much inflamation and I would need to come back and go through a similar procedure and he would fill it and make it all pretty again.  Bummer, I really just wanted it all to be done today.  I am not in much pain now, the sites where he gave me the shots are probably causing me the most pain but it is nothing like the pain I've been having the past couple of months so I will not complain!  Hopefully he can see me soon to finish up the work and I can be dentist free - until my cleaning next month.  I still don't know how in 7 months it got so bad that I needed a root canal.. oh well, not much I can do about it now!  I don't want to toot my own horn or anything but I was really proud of myself for being a big girl - normally I would make my hubbs come and squeeze his hand the whole way but I told him to stay at home and I would be okay on my own - I deserved a sticker today =) [okay, toot toot!]
Man, if you have made it this far here is my 9 week quiz!
How far along: 9 weeks 3 days
Total weight gain/loss: still +0, thankfully
Maternity clothes: yes - and my coworker MaryBeth just let me borrow some of her adorable maternity shirts [she let me borrow them with Gabby and I had just given them back to her when I had to ask if I could borrow them again!]  Thanks MaryBeth =)
Sleep: not too bad recently, except for horrible tooth pain - it was so bad I could not sleep on my lright side because any pressure on the right side of my face would put me in a mess of pain.
Best moment this week: hanging out with family this past weekend =)
Movement: not yet.
Food cravings: chocolate milk.
Gender: boy.
Labor Signs: nope.
Belly Button in or out: innie.
What I miss: my normal clothes I haven't fit in for almost a year now.
What I am looking forward to: our doctor visit on Monday and the beautiful sunny weather!
Weekly Wisdom:  take good care of your teeth!
Milestones: Your new resident is nearly an inch long, about the size of a grape and weighs just a fraction of an ounce. She's starting to look more and more human. Her essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. Other changes abound: Your baby's heart finishes dividing into four chambers, and the valves start to form — as do her tiny teeth. The embryonic "tail" is completely gone. Your baby's organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear. The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks. Her eyes are fully formed, but her eyelids are fused shut and won't open until 27 weeks. She has tiny earlobes, and her mouth, nose, and nostrils are more distinct. The placenta is developed enough now to take over most of the critical job of producing hormones. Now that your baby's basic physiology is in place, she's poised for rapid weight gain.
 9 weeks 3 days. (gross stretch marks!)

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Be thankful you didn't have twins...your stretch marks are nothing. Truly. I thought I was going to be damned to hide my stomach forever from everyone but even my stretch marks are fading nicely, so hopefully you will have the same luck. That said, I will never wear a bikini again.

I was in Target in Concordville yesterday and was searching the clearance racks and saw Liz Lange Maternity dresses for less than $5! I also saw some maternity t-shirts and a few pairs of capris for under $10. Maybe you could have the same luck at the Target in Lancaster if you need a few more things.