Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Monday, August 20, 2012
that’s what my mom will say when she reads this..
try sushi. did it :)
and actually really liked it!
Steven and I went on a double date with our cousin David and his new fiancé Elisa and we had a blast! David was a sushi newbie too.. it was nice not being the only rookie there! I’ve never been to a hibachi grill so I was very excited to see ‘the show’ and enjoy some family time. (with no kids!)
We each ordered a different sushi roll and also ordered a meal. I got to try four different sushi rolls and really enjoyed all of them. :) I am so proud of myself! (and I’m proud of you too David.. if you ever read this!) I absolutely loved watching ‘the show’ – the chef was hilarious and the other people sitting with us were super nice! I’m glad Elisa was with us – she is a sushi expert! And I am very thankful for my husband’s support with my silly (but very meaningful) 30 before 30 goals!
I’m really looking forward to going back.. when we save some money.. who knew that stuff would cost so much! :)
thanks for the date boyfriend & girlfriend – really looking forward to the next one!
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Well.. I can officially cross one thing off my 30 before 30 list! Last Thursday and Friday I attended the Global Leadership Summit along with some coworkers. This was my third year attending and it is always SO inspiring. They played a video highlighting Compassion International that really tugged at my heart.
I have read a lot about Compassion International and have prayed for a long time about sponsorship. My heart has always been in Africa, for some reason, and now I think I know why...
Her name is Olivia.. Her birthday is March 5, 2006.. She has three siblings. Both her mother and father are still living but her family does live in an AIDS affected area. They had a Compassion table at the leadership summit and as I was walking by during one of the breaks I noticed Olivia’s pretty yellow shirt. Her shirt made me think of sunshine, which made me think of my Grammie. I knew, right then, her picture was coming home with me! This sponsorship, to some, may seem small but to me and my family, it’s huge. It’s going to take some reworking of our budget to make this sponsorship work but it’s important to me. I’m looking forward to talking with the kiddos about Olivia and about the impact we can have in her life. I’m excited to have the kids color pictures for her. I’m excited to print out a map and mark where we live and where she lives. I’m also excited to send her stickers – what 6 year old doesn’t enjoy stickers!!! It’s the small things…
please join me in praying for Olivia and for her family :)
Thursday, August 9, 2012
I turn 30 in a little less than 10 months. (May 31st) That seems absolutely crazy to me. 30. three zero. 3 – 0. thirty. WOW! So, I’m ready to challenge myself.. I’m ready to make this last piece of my twenties special and exciting. I’ve made a list.
my *30 things before 30 list* and I hope to get photos of most or all!
some are silly, some are serious, some are easy, some are tough, some are fun, some are selfish, some are scary, all are worth it.
1. pay off my car. [her name is Blair and I love her!]
2. do something fun with my blog related to fashion and/or fitness.
3. get my third tattoo. [something fun and unique]
4. research & open a college savings account for g-cubed.
5. try to crochet.
6. conquer my fear of horses. [yes, this means riding one. yikes!]
7. redecorate my office with some of my photographs.
8. get a pedicure. [still never had one]
9. take Gavin ice-skating.
10. sponsor a child from Africa.
11. write a will. [I’m dragging my feet.]
12. paint our bedroom.
13. wear a bikini on my 30th birthday. [not a ‘skirt' bottom bikini.]
14. teach Gage his ABC’s.
15. go to and buy something at an auction. [preferably something super old!]
16. get caught up on baby books.
17. complete a DIY project that’s blog post worthy.
18. chaperone a field trip for my niece or nephews.
19. go skiing or snow tubing. [never done either.]
20. buy and rock a pair of funky skinny jeans. [they always look so cool!]
21. do something special with my Grammie’s shirts.
22. take Gabby to Disney on Ice.
23. give our house a major landscape overhaul.
24. try sushi.
25. run one mile on my old high school track. [to erase the terrible memories of ‘mile run day’ in gym class.]
26. travel to a city Steven and I have never been to before. [maybe Boston.. not sure yet!]
27. organize, then donate the [millions] of toys the kids no longer play with.
28. 5k, 10k, half marathon. [need to pray about this.]
29. shoot a gun. [for the first time!]
30. have a kick butt 30th birthday party!
watch out thirty.. here I come :)